Friday 14 January 2022

Moon Over the Cabin

On my Wednesday Crafternoon chat, I got the white part of the moon stitched.

The lighting is bad but you get the idea.

I also finished the second pair of Little Hearts mittens 

except for the thumbs which I'll finish today. I remove the waste yarn and pick up the live stitches to knit the thumbs.

Instead of the folded over picot cuff, I did the garter stitch cuff as outlined in the Little Heart hand warmers pattern from the same book. It made the project go that much quicker. Another shortcut I did was leave the red yarn out and only knit with the grey and black. Once I passed a few rounds after where the red should go, I duplicate-stitched those stitches, anchoring the yarn under other floats/strands between stitches. That was even easier than trying to duplicate-stitch after the entire mitten had been knit.

While cleaning out my mitten and scarf storage, I found 3 cowls I hadn't used in years. As I wear long-sleeved t-shirts all winter, it's nice to have a cowl to keep the back of my neck warm without the extra fabric of a scarf. The Hydrangea cowl is a favourite and I've knit two of them from 100% alpaca sport weight yarn.

The flared, lacy bottom sits very nicely on my shoulders and the upper 'tube' is nice around my neck. I want to knit another one in the larger size so it will be a bit looser.

Thank goodness for Ravelry because I drew a total blank on the pattern name when I first found the cowl. I knit these 11 years ago and could not remember the source of the pattern. Once I knew it was from 'Brave New Knits' I was able to locate the book in my knitting library.

I've been binge-watching "Cheer" on Netflix. I had watched the first season when it first came out but had only a vague recollection of it. At the beginning of Season 2 there was a reference to a very serious allegation so I went back and watched all of Season 1 as a lead up. I stayed up WAY too late the night before last so last night I went to bed early as I was understandably quite tired. I slept for about 10 hours. I guess I needed all that sleep. I have 3 more Cheer episodes to finish then on to the next thing.

Several of us in the guild will be stitching the Louisa Acton sampler from 1898 Schoolhouse Samplers.

 It's a free pattern. The colours are up to the stitcher to select so I have been stalling picking them out. However, I found one person's blog with her colour selections and will have a look at those first. so far all I've done is print the pattern. Fabric and thread selection will follow.

Our guild is also starting a project at next week's meeting on the Wessex stitch. We're doing the needlebook from the EGA website which is available for free. Kim created kits with needles, the felt, batting, and fabric. We just needed to pick 3 floss colours. Most of us are using Sulky petite floss. I decided to pick three of the colours from my Starry Night cardigan.

I picked the blue, gold, and bright green. The Sulky thread wasn't quite the right green

but I found a random skein of this thread with no label which I might use instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment