Saturday 8 January 2022

Mitts Done, Fringe Twisted

I finished the thumb on the second Latvian mitten last night.I had just enough charcoal yarn to finish. I duplicate-stitched the red stitches on the right thumb rather than fiddle with 3 colours.
I'm totally OK with modifying the palm side of the thumb with alternating colours. I couldn't be bothered with dealing with the pattern on that side, too.
I would knit these again but might try another design from the book.
I do wear stranded mittens in the winter time. I've never found gloves to be warm enough and don't spend enough time outdoors to warrant buying mittens with current fabrics (fleece/nylon/Thinsulate).
I knit this linen stitch scarf in 2017 then set it aside before twisting the fringes. It had been stuffed in a scarf storage container all this time so I decided to haul it out and get the job done. It took less than an hour using the same technique I used when twisting the fringe on my Excavation blanket

To recap, this scarf used 3 skeins of Koigu KPPPM in three different colourways with the common colour of green. The pattern is Koigu Linen Stitch Scarf by Churchmouse Yarns and Teas. I used 4mm needles. That seems large for fingering weight but makes for a lovely drapey fabric.



I had previously knit a blue one which was one of my favourite scarves because, a) it was completely finished, b) it was very long - long enough to wrap around my neck twice, and c) it wasn't bulky.
Unfortunately I have misplaced it. I did knit one from my handspun which is very nice but not quite as long as I would have liked. I think I casted on 350 sts and it probably should have been 400 or 450.


Since I have a lot more handspun in my stash, I can see knitting a few more of these. Hopefully I can find some folks who would appreciate receiving one as a gift. They're very monotonous to knit but great for using up random colourways while watching TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment