Tuesday 4 January 2022

Stitching While Zooming

Yesterday during my Zoom call and stiching at the dining room table, I worked on finishing the eyelets in the four-sided stitch diamonds.

This type of eyelet leaves a criss-cross of two threads in the centre. Once I got the hang of it, it was easy to do.

I then segued to Moonshine Cabin which also requires bright light. In this photo the yellow in the windows shows up well. It's not quite as pronounced in real life. The green doesn't provide enough contrast with the base fabric for my liking either but I will continue on. This project is going to take a while.


The cuff of the second Latvian mitten is well underway. I used the 2.5mm needle so this mitten may have a slightly looser cuff than the first one. 

If I stick with it, I should get the second one done in a day or two. Then I'll tackle the thumbs.

While watching Katie Strachan Embroidery's YouTube video on ribbon edge finishing, I learned about the Fiskars Circle Cutter. It cuts circles from 1" to 8" in diameter. While doing errands yesterday, I went to Michaels and bought one using a 30% off coupon. I also bought a Strathmore Bristol tablet. This card stock paper (bristol board in pad format) is acid free and good for backing ornaments. For me, it alone is not stiff enough for mounting the stitchery and I'd use a thicker cardboard behind the bristol, but it would certainly work for mounting the fabric on the back.

I have several Christmas ornaments that need FFOing. This should make at least one of the steps easier. I also have received my 2022 charms that will be affixed to this year's ornaments that I finish.

Speaking of Christmas ornament, there's a Just Cross Stitch group on Facebook (JCS Stitch Along) for 2022. A poll was taken and the top 12 ornaments from the 2021 Christmas issue were selected for stitching one a month. Stitchers are invited to photograph and show their items on the group all year long. I don't plan to do every one but a couple are somewhat appealing. I wasn't that impressed with the offerings in the 2021 issue and was less impressed with the other issues last year. JCS does not pay their designers so many have decided to no longer give away their work for free. 

Through the PressReader app, it is possible to have access to current issues of many newspapers and magazines (including cross stitch magazines) through your public library card. And it's free. I don't think issues can be downloaded and saved but they are there for perusal.

No comments:

Post a Comment