Saturday 15 January 2022

Enhancing a Design

One of the FlossTubers I watch, Valerie from Stitching in the Barn, likes to put her own relatives' names in her samplers. That makes them more meaningful to her rather than the original stitcher's name. 

While looking at the Louisa Acton sampler, I remembered that my maternal grandfather's mother had a very poetic name which would fit perfectly in lieu of "Louisa Acton . Aged 11" at the bottom of the sampler. I also decided to insert the date when she would have been 11 years old - 1859.

Using my decades-old cross stitch software which does not have capability to graph 1 over 1 in a 2 over 2 chart, I got the job done by going back and forth among three different files to finally create my great-grandmother's name and date:

Isn't that a wonderful name? IMHO, it's perfect for this sampler. 

Cordelia Elizabeth Peacock lived her entire life in Botsford Parish, Westmorland County, New Brunswick. Cordelia and her husband, Nelson Anderson, both died in 1919. I wondered if it was the Spanish Flu epidemic that got them both that year? With a quick search on Ancestry.ca I learned that Cordelia died July 20 1919 (after the peak of the flu epidemic). Cause of death was an 'internal growth' that had been diagnosed 6 months earlier.
Headstone at Pioneer Cemetery, Murray Corner, Westmorland County NB

But I digress...

I have settled on a remnant of Legacy linen from Picture This Plus that I picked up on my last visit to A Stitcher's Garden on my last US road trip with my crafty friends. Sadly, this shop closed last fall. We do look forward to visiting the Hobby House Needleworks in Pittsford NY as soon as we can safely travel to the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment