Saturday 29 January 2022

I Need Two Project Bags

I have so many UFOs that are filling the dozen+ project bags I already have that I have to make a couple more.

I had  all the pieces cut out of this fabric from my stash.

I had white lining and a black zipper. I got the fronts and vinyl all sewn together and went to attach the zipper and I couldn't find it! I have no idea where I put it after hauling it out of my zipper bin. That stopped me in my tracks so I regrouped and selected another fabric, lining, vinyl, and zipper and started another bag.

All went pretty well. The fabric was directional so I did have to fiddle with it a bit. I really need to write down the cutting instructions if using directional fabric because every bag I've made with it comes out differently. 

I had everything sewn together and got everything turned right side out and for once, I closed the opening at the bottom of the lining with the machine. when I went to zip it up I realized I had cut the zipper tab off! Ermagerd! I'd never done that before. What a bonehead. 

So I unpicked the stitches on the right side, exposed the ends of the zipper and slid the tab onto the tracks. Then I tucked everything back in and topstitched everything back together. It's hardly noticeable and I didn't have to disassemble the whole project to do it.

See? That doesn't look so bad. I also had clipped that same corner too close and it popped out to I tucked it back in and glued it in place. 
So here's the Timepieces project bag. It came out about 14" square. I just used white lining. I don't remember if it's broadcloth or muslin. 
I really must sit down and figure out how big to cut the back properly when working with directional fabric. The clocks go every which-way but the background columns are definitely directional. I did it correctly this time. I also need to write the instructions for making these bags with fat quarters (only 18" high). The vinyl window just needs to be bigger. It's easy arithmetic but I just haven't taken the time to do it.
I'm going to whip out to Fabricland and buy some more zippers before it closes. As soon as I get home I know I'll find that black zipper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment